Tuesday, November 22, 2011

week four blog one

We are so lucky to live in these times and be able to accommodate special needs children the way we do.  There are so many technological advances that not only help the children learn, but also help us teach.  

One of the web 2.0 application websites that I analyzed was called Skype.  Skype is a free service that offers video and audio calls online.  You can chat 1 to 1 or through group video calling.  A key feature that is offered and that is extremely helpful when teaching is the screen sharing option.  With this option I may allow you to view my computer screen so that I can show you how to do something, or show you what I am doing or looking at. The screen sharing option can really help students who may need that extra demonstration that others don't.  I think that using the screen sharing on Skype is actually better then standing over the student and showing them where to click because it forces them to analyze and do it themselves, which will help them remember it.

 Another application that I analyzed and found important and useful for students with special needs was called Bloglines.  Bloglines is one of the largest news and feed aggregators in the world.  With over two million users, this website has so much information.  The tool not only helps you build and develop a blog, but you can then share it with whomever you choose across the Internet.  The program is free so it is very classroom accessible.  I imagine this tool extremely useful for painfully shy students, or students who do not speak English well, or students with a studder or speech impediment.  The students and teacher can link to each others blogs and use them very similar to how we have our discussions in blackboard.  Everyone will have equal access to participate and also since in order to use the website, you need a computer with Internet, you can ask the students harder questions that they may have to do a little research to fully develop an understanding.

The third tool that I thought would be extremely useful in a classroom with students with special needs is 280 slides.  With 280 Slides, teachers can send presentations from one to another.  I found this most interesting because personally, I am only receiving my teaching licensure.  I am not going to get a special education license.  However, I can speak with teachers who already have their special education license and share slideshows via 280 slides to make sure that my work can accommodate my students with special needs.  Also I can view slideshows created just for students with special needs and use them if deemed fit.  This allows me to expand and share with a community of teachers to help better the education for my students. 

3 comments:

  1. I believe that you have made a reasonable case for each 2.0 tool and 280 slides stands out the most to me. You make a great point about needing access to aides since you are not receiving special education certification as well. Looking to other teachers is always useful but in this case you have extended beyond simply getting insight and are additionally able to use another teacher's materials. Knowing what kind of IEPs the teacher used the presentation for could be of even greater assistance. This type of sharing reminds me of the notions ,"No need to re-invent the wheel." If teachers with special edu experience are using materials that they find works then why not reuse? Teacher collaboration is always suggested and this just allows for that sharing to be taken to the next level. Way to use web 2.0 tools to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about these tools being useful for beginning teachers and taking advantage of the skills that teachers with other certifications have. We only have so much time to create materials and learn about teaching methods. From my experience, being able to use what more experienced teacher know is a a great resources. These Web 2.0 tools make it easier to learn from other teachers as well as help students learn in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy,
    Through your sharing of specific examples, you identified how the web-based, user friendly, free nature of many web 2.0 tools makes them conducive for use as assistive technology software when appropriate. Careful consideration of a tools features & functionality paired with a student's needs would clearly indicate it's usefulness as a tool in learning.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete